Previously, I wrote about The Purpose of My Life. I’d like to take another look at that here, and list out some practical ways to live for those purposes. This is not meant to be a law book that I must follow, but rather, a compass or guide by which I can gauge whether the activities and actions I’m giving my time to, align to what I was made for.
- Spend time in prayer and reading scripture every morning, and throughout each day. Psalm 5:3, Psalm 63:1-8
- Sing songs that praise his name
- Get out in nature and observe his creation – praise him for what he has made.
- Obey his commands. If we love him, we’ll obey him.
Love His People
- Lay down my life for others. That means giving up my time, energy, abilities, position, power and resources for others. This could be as simple as letting people go in front of me while driving, or as laborious as giving up a weekend to help someone move.
- Use the worlds goods to help fellow believers in need.
- Imitate Christ. Spend time with non-believers or those weak/immature in faith. Imitate Christ and teach them to do as I am doing.
- Missional communities. Stay missional.
- Remember that my children are disciples. Model Christ to them. Spend time with them.
- Home school – stay involved.
Serve the Needy and the Poor
- Sponsor 7 children through World Vision. Send them birthday and Christmas gifts. Write to them.
- Find ways to give my things to those who need them.
- Say hello to the homeless. Offer bottles of water. Matthew 10:42
Live A Quiet Life
- No social media. No stirring up controversy or promoting myself. Titus 3:9-11
- No jockeying for position at work, church or other communities. Luke 14:11
Use the Gifts God Gave Me
- Encourage other men through men’s Bible studies. Proverbs 27:17
Love My Wife and Children
- See my previous post here on how to love my family.